If an Indian tribe, worked through every one of the bureaucratic process while using Bureau of Indian Affairs and could build an internet casino in downtown Enid, would you be for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos around the state, you almost certainly run into other people you know from Enid, partaking inside recreation furnished by the casinos. These are the same people who have left our town and so are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping on the stores, eating at the restaurants, and staying on the hotels within the area.
A brief history:
The ability to run bingo games was one of the many concessions made to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person created a bingo game that seemed like a video slot. We supply seen the little digital bingo card at the top corner in the display screen of the slot machine game. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos begun to spring up everywhere. After all, you were still playing bingo, just in a very new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact relating to the tribes as well as the State of Oklahoma allowed the usage of Vegas style slot machine games, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and casinos were built and therefore are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino could only be built within historic tribal boundaries then placed in a trust while using U.S. government. Since Enid doesn't have casino, is that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it turned out found, that ahead of the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part from the Cherokee Outlet, occupied with the Cherokee people following the Treaty of New Echota as well as the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the area was a hunting ground with the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us being within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive aspects of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are come to operate tribal governments and programs due to the citizens. In addition, a portion of the revenue is split using the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes utilize revenues to improve infrastructure.
3. Related sightseeing attractions are built.
4. Jobs are created.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons discovered that over 80 percent with the visitors to casinos were enthusiastic about also doing something other than gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions such as family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian business people.
10. Casinos provide a magnet for outside money that did not previously exist.
11. Local resident who used to travel outside of the area now stays within the area.
12. More construction jobs are created building casinos.
13. Gambling is definitely an accepted opportinity for governments to raise funds. It is described as source of money that is certainly easier to obtain which is not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities the next businesses showed an increase in profits, attendance, and customers after an internet casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited more frequently
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative aspects of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge on what well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes a dependancy.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time spent on useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour huge amounts of money into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes are also influencing here gambling and also other policies affecting Native Americans by handing quite a bit to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there can be an increase inside following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is named an action addiction. When gambling, the hormones, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more regularly, it contributes to tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, so it takes more gambling and better stakes, to obtain the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine gambling lights up the human brain exactly as cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If an online casino were to petition to find downtown Enid, what would be your opinion? Do you think it might enhance our community or bring social problems organic beef not want to manage?